Monthly Archives: July 2019

 

July 7, 2019

Comments Off on Broncos move Boyd to make room for Isaako

Broncos move Boyd to make room for Isaako

The future is now for Brisbane after Wayne Bennett made the surprise call to replace captain Darius Boyd at fullback with young gun Jamayne Isaako for Friday night’s NRL clash with Penrith.

杭州桑拿

The 22-year-old Isaako topped a red-letter day by inking a four-year contract extension to remain at Red Hill until the end of the 2022 season.

Isaako turned down interest from the Sydney Roosters to stay at the Broncos where he has a chance to establish himself as the club’s long-term fullback after former Test No.1 Boyd’s retirement.

Bennett has opted to hand the flyer the fullback now in a bid to bolster their left-edge defence against a Panthers outfit that has welcomed back NSW five-eighth James Maloney from injury.

Brisbane are bracing themselves for Maloney’s return from toe and foot complaints, re-jigging their backline with Boyd at left centre and Jordan Kahu now on the right wing.

Bennett denied Boyd’s move was permanent but said something had to give after their poor 26-6 last round loss to the Warriors that relegated them to eighth on the NRL ladder.

Asked if Isaako was Brisbane’s long-term fullback, Bennett said: “Yeah but we have just fast tracked it a little bit.

“This is not permanent. We will just see how it works for us.

“But I needed to do something at the back there. I just thought we could tighten up our (defensive) positioning in the centres a little bit.”

Bennett said Boyd, who is contracted until the end of the 2021 NRL season, took his surprise positional switch well.

“He was happy as. That was his original position. That is where he played all his football growing up,” he said.

“I have played him there before on the odd occasion, he handles it great.”

Bennett has confirmed forwards Joe Ofahengaue (knee) and Tevita Pangai (hamstring) had passed fitness tests and will play.

Brisbane’s NSW centre James Roberts (achilles) is another certain starter after missing last round’s disappointing home loss.

The Broncos will need all hands on deck against the fifth-placed Panthers after Maloney was given the green light on Thursday by coach Anthony Griffin.

Blues playmaker Maloney appeared in serious doubt for the round 19 Suncorp Stadium clash after post-State of Origin scans revealed a minor sprain.

He was rested from last week’s loss to Cronulla, along with fellow NSW stars Nathan Cleary and Tyrone Peachey.

However, former Broncos mentor Griffin said Maloney would play after training strongly at their Gold Coast base on Thursday.

“He’s been a bit tender since State of Origin but he’s going to play,” Griffin said.

“It’s good to have everyone back together again (post-Origin). The level will go up again now the rep season is over.

“The intensity will be a lot higher than it was a month ago.”

STATS THAT MATTER

* Brisbane are aiming to win three-straight matches against Penrith for the first time since 2001.

* Penrith coach Anthony Griffin has won eight matches and drawn one in his 12 matches against Brisbane’s Wayne Bennett – the Broncos mentor’s equal worst win percentage (25 per cent).

* Bennett is seeking a record 500th NRL career win in his 806th match.

 

July 7, 2019

Comments Off on Reece Hignell eliminated from MasterChefPhotos

Reece Hignell eliminated from MasterChefPhotos

Newcastle’s Reece Hignell eliminated from MasterChef What’s Cooking: Reece Hignell made it to the last six of MasterChef 2018. His next step is a pop-up restaurant in Newcastle. Picture: WIN Television

杭州桑拿

Reece Hignell on MasterChef. Picture: WIN Television.

Reece Hignell is planning to start a pop-up restaurant in Newcastle.

Reece Hignell.

Prince Charles on the show.

Gordon Ramsay on the show.

Gordon Ramsay on the show.

Gordon Ramsay on the show.

Gordon Ramsay on the show.

Nigella on the show.

Nigella on the show.

The judges – Gary, George and Matt.

Reece’s Frozen Mandarin Nougat with Beetroot Caramel, Mandarin Granita, Biscuit Crumb and Thyme.

Click ahead for more of Reece’s dishes.

TweetFacebookTickled TastebudsIt’s been a long time on the air for MasterChef. A decade, in fact.

Judge Matt Preston recently spoke about the show’s “no dickhead” policy. Perhaps that’s one reason for its remarkable longevity.

The slick M-logo reflects the show’smarketing prowess. It’s a whole lot better than thatother M-logo from the ever-temptinganddecadent food universe.

Topics admits we’re not a regular viewer. But after watching a couple ofepisodesstarring Reece, we found ourselves thinking that ourfood experience could improve.

On the show, Reece cooked dishes like basil sorbet with pink peppercorn meringue;smoked vanilla ice cream with poached plums;rump steak with carrot puree, gremolata and jus; and hazelnut parfait, chocolate sorbet and eucalyptus caramel.

Eucalyptus caramel? Is that evenpossible? Ourtastebuds areprotesting. We had brown rice, chicken and tomato for dinner.Topics might have to check out Reece’s pop-up restaurantsome time soon.

 

July 7, 2019

Comments Off on FFA facing tug-of-war for Fowler family

FFA facing tug-of-war for Fowler family

Australia faces a battle to secure the long-term allegiances of 15-year-old progidy Mary Fowler.Australia faces a battle to secure the long-term allegiances of 15-year-old football prodigy Mary Fowler and her talented siblings amid strong overtures from Ireland.

杭州桑拿

Fowler is set to debut for the Matildas after being selected in coach Alen Stajcic’s 21-player squad for next week’s Tournament of Nations in the US.

It should be the start of a long international career for the Cairns-born wonderkid – but whether the Fowler family stays in green and gold remains to be seen.

Born to an Irish father and Papua New Guinean mother, Mary is one of five children and all of them aspire to play professional football.

Brother Quivi, 19, and sister Ciara, 17, have both previously represented Ireland at youth level and were born there but are on Football Federation Australia’s radar.

However, AAP understands the Football Association of Ireland is desperate to lock the Fowler family down and is in regular contact.

“I want to play for Australia, but obviously Ciara and Quivi have played for Ireland,” Mary told AAP.

“And we all want to play together for the same country.

“Family is really important to me, it’s important to all of us.

“I’m not in any rush to make that decision right now, I’m only 15, so we’ll see.”

Playing in the Tournament of Nations won’t tie Mary to Australia as it is essentially a series of glorified friendly matches.

However, the lure of an appearance at next year’s women’s World Cup – for which Ireland have failed to qualify – may swing their decision.

It’s understood several W-League clubs have offered contracts to Mary and Ciara but the pair are considering moving to Europe, where Quivi will be based next season.

Quivi is viewed as a potential Socceroo and has signed for second-tier Dutch club FC Dordrecht, having previously spent time in the youth system of Eredivisie outfit Vitesse.

The 19-year-old attacking midfielder played for Wollongong in the NSW NPL this year and trialled with multiple A-League clubs but was not offered a senior contract.

“He hasn’t played any senior football yet, but the boy’s definitely talented,” FFA head of national teams Luke Casserly told AAP.

“We certainly hope to connect with him and see how he’s going at Dordrecht.

“We’ve got Ante Milicic based overseas now who can easily get around and see him.”

Casserly said FFA would make their pitch to the Fowlers, just as they did to Daniel Arzani as he entertained interest from his birth country Iran.

“We’ve had a number of players who can play for multiple nations, and obviously we go through the same process with everyone – meet with the players, their parents, their family,” he said.

“If it’s a player we’re really interested in, we put our best foot forward as to why we believe Australia is the best place to go.”

 

July 7, 2019

Comments Off on Mensink and his lawyer ‘have never spoken’

Mensink and his lawyer ‘have never spoken’

Clive Mensink’s lawyer has told a court he’s never spoken to the former Queensland Nickel director.A lawyer for former Queensland Nickel director Clive Mensink has told a court he’s never actually spoken to his client, and that Mr Mensink’s uncle, Clive Palmer, was their “conduit”.

杭州桑拿

The company’s liquidators want Mr Mensink to return from an open-ended overseas trip to face questions about how the nickel business was run before it collapsed in 2016.

In the Federal Court in Brisbane on Thursday, solicitor Sam Iskander was asked if he’d ever spoken to Mr Mensink, who is the subject of an arrest warrant for failing to return home to be grilled in court.

“No,” the solicitor replied.

“My understanding was Mr Palmer was the main conduit of instructions and he had the authority to act on his (Mr Mensink’s) behalf, and so therefore I would follow those instructions accordingly.”

The court was told that Mr Palmer had given Mr Iskander phone numbers to contact his globe-trotting nephew. but the solicitor had never made direct contact with him.

In a statement to the media on Thursday, Mr Palmer blasted liquidators for continuing to pursue his nephew.

“They are continuing their public examinations of Clive Mensink’s solicitor Mr Sam Iskander even though every Australian has the right to legal representation,” the businessman and former federal MP said.

“They will for a second time examine Mr Mensink’s son, Ryan, in an attempt to intimidate and seek retribution.”

Ryan Mensink has previously testified his father is unlikely to return to Australia because he “is probably having too much fun” overseas.

Mr Mensink is still paid a salary by Mr Palmer’s flagship company Mineralogy, and receives rental payments for properties in Brisbane’s north and the Gold Coast.

The arrest warrant issued for Mr Mensink, and another for contempt of court, are essentially unenforceable unless he returns to Australia.

 

July 7, 2019

Comments Off on Forever torn: Bob Dylan and mystery of his love it or hate it concerts

Forever torn: Bob Dylan and mystery of his love it or hate it concerts

Present tense: Bob Dylan’s latest promotional image.

杭州桑拿

FOR six decades, Bob Dylan has left us guessing.

At a press conference held in San Francisco in 1965, the 25-year-old sat before a media pack who spent almost an hour firing off questions – some interesting and others terribly dull.

At times visibly uncomfortable with the focus all on him, Dylan’s answers shifted from comical to laconic, but it is early on in the footage that he delivers one of his most remarkable responses.

“Do you think of yourself primarily as a singer or a poet?,” one reporter asks.

With a pause for thought, Dylan answers: “Oh, I think of myself as a song-and-dance man, ya know”.

It’s delivered with a crooked smile, but it’s clear that he’s actually not joking.

When asked why, Dylan – who had been propelled to superstar status with the release of his third album Bringing It All Back Home– shuffled in his seat before responding: “I don’t think we have time to really answer that”.

Labels have never been his thing.

Over the course of his career, Dylan has constantly changed, shifting styles musically – and vocally – from folk to rock, country to blues, gospel and, more recently, a deep exploration into the Great American Songbook across series of albums, including 2017’s Triplicate.

There is a mystery to him that remains unsolved and makes him undeniably intriguing.

Like his musical output, Dylan’s set lists aren’t exactly predictable.

There is no shortage of material to choose from, hundreds of songs that have led the way for countless covers by everyone from Rage Against the Machine to Cher, but the chances of hearing Knockin’ On Heaven’s Door, Hurricane, Like A Rolling Stone, Subterranean Homesick Blues, Just Like A Woman, I Shall Be Released, All Along the Watchtower (and all the rest, of course) are not guaranteed.

Frustrating for some, perhaps, but that’s the way he operates.

1996: Bob Dylan playing at Hyde Park in London.

So what can we expect when Dylan, who turned 77 in May, returns to Australia next month?

A look at his recent shows tell us the 2000 hit Things Have Changed, which he recorded for the film Wonder Boys and picked up two awards for best original song at the Oscars and the Golden Globes, was the most-played track on his run of dates across Europe earlier this year.

Long and Wasted Years (released in 2012) and Ballad of a Thin Man (from his 1965 record Highway 61 Revisited) are also on high rotation, with Don’t Think Twice It’s All Right (1963) and Blowin’ In The Wind (1962) getting a run alongside his Frank Sinatra cover Melancholy Mood and jazz standard Autumn Leaves.

It is by no means a greatest hits set, but Dylan has never pandered to his audience.

Songs are often reworked live, sometimes barley resembling the original.

He is known to joyfully interact with his band, but engaging with the audience on a personal level is not part of his game.

And it’s exactly this that has opinions divided about a Bob Dylan concert – it’s a love-it-or-hate-it experience.

Bob Dylan’s Never Ending Tour – as his constant tour schedule has been nicknamed – kicks off in Perth before heading to Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, Wollongong, Newcastle and Brisbane, then across to New Zealand.

He performs at Newcastle Entertainment Centre on August 22, returning for the first time since playing the venue in 2003.

I was at that show and left feeling satisfied.

He closed the set with Blowin’ In the Wind and All Along The Watchtower, so who could argue with that?

Sharing the room with a true music icon, one that has left such an indelible imprint on the canvas of modern music (as well as being a recipient of a Nobel Prize, Pulitzer Prize, and is a member of the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame), is nothing short of incredible – even if they don’t sound quite like they used to.

A reworked version of Mr Tambourine Man got a run, as did I’ll Be Your Baby Tonight and It’s All Over Now, Baby Blue.

It was another box ticked for me, but I recall receiving an email or two from readers in reply to my positive review of the show that strongly questioned my experience.

Was I at the same show? one reader scoffed.

Fifteen years on and the divisiveness of Dylan is unchanged.

In a review of one of Dylan’s shows in the US last year, Washington Post reporter Joe Heim described Dylan in concert ‘’as challenging as ever”.

Heim said the show felt “both riveting and oddly removed”, with the band remaining un-introduced for the whole show and Dylan not uttering a single word, before adding: “It didn’t matter. The songs connected even when the singer didn’t.”

In comparison, a glowing review from his show at London Palladium last year declared: “If there were ever a time in the last 20 years to see Bob Dylan live, now is that time”.

Dylan’s upcoming tour of Australia follows his 2014 month-long run of shows that placed him in smaller, intimate venues including Sydney’s State Theatre and The Palais in Melbourne.

1966: Dylan at a press conference in Melbourne.

He first toured Australia in 1966 and regularly returns, with no hint at plans to retire, despite peers such as Paul Simon and Elton John recently announcing they will step back from life on the road.

Even though Dylan has gone on record to dismiss the theory of a “Never Ending Tour”, it is one label that has stuck whenever he’s on the road.

The tour began in June 1988.

It’s debatable whether or not Dylan actually coined the term himself, but the fact is that he has remained on the road almost constantly since that year, with a three-month break due to illness being the longest period he has spent away from touring life.

He is on the verge of clocking up 3000 shows on the 30-year tour which have been played in more than 800 cities around the world.

“A lot of people can’t stand touring but, to me, it’s like breathing,” Dylan once said.

“I do it because I’m driven to do it.”

* Bob Dylan and his band perform at Newcastle Entertainment Centre on August 22. Tickets available through Ticketek.